Top Ten Fitness Items
Have you ever seen High Fidelity? One of my favorite movies. So good. Every time I make a list of I think it…as soon as you finish reading this, go watch it.
I thought it would be fun to share my ten favorite fitness things…of course, most of these will be running related!
- Merino wool socks. Smartwool and Icebreaker are both awesome (I have a slight preference for Icebreaker). Whenever I run in cotton, I’m just a little sad.
- Cycling jerseys! The big difference between cycling shirts and running shirts are pockets! While teaching, this makes it easier to wear the mic. While on the road, it’s an easy place to keep snacks, my phone, keys, etc. without having to carry a bag.
- UnderArmour tights. Not sure why, but these work for me. I’ve tried a couple other brands and just don’t like ’em. I just wish I had some that weren’t plain black. It’s so boring!
- Icebreaker sweaters. So warm, so breathable, but yet hard to overheat if I overdress. (I don’t actually have the one linked — mine are a few years old so I don’t think they’re for sale anymore!)
- Water belt. Definitely need water and snacks on long runs. It’s also helpful to have my phone in the pocket if I’m running alone.
- Foam roller – you either love it or hate it, probably at the same time.
- Sunscreen! Not exclusive to fitness, but a definite necessity.
- Sunglasses. After almost two years, I lost mine recently. :-( It was a very sad weekend. Luckily I have another pair but they are hard to run in because they’re not a style made for activity and they slide around too much!
- Garmin with heart rate monitor. I suppose this could just be GPS watch but I really love my Garmin. I had the Nike+ Sportwatch before and just didn’t like it.
- Long hair swim caps. I seriously can’t tell you how many caps I tore through before discovering long hair caps. This mane can’t be tamed.
Also, a couple tips for buying gear. If you clicked any of those links, you probably noticed how (insanely) expensive some of those things are ($15 for a pair of socks?!). Well, good news: I rarely pay full price for most of those things. I do buy all of my running shoes from Fleet Feet in Adams Morgan. I would buy my clothes there, too, but they don’t have UnderArmour tights and I’m too much of a chicken to try anything new at this point.
Here are some of my favorite stops:
I’m thinking of writing Top Ten Over-rated gadgets soon! Stay tuned!